Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Morning Star, January 4, 2015, pg. 10
We all know that in Albionís history we had a Congressman who lived here, the Hon. Washington Gardner (1845-1928). Did you know however that there was another Congressman who also lived here? He was Judge William Henry Hinebaugh (1867-1943). Hinebaugh was born on a farm in Eckford Township near Marshall, the son of Peter and Harriet (Keim) Hinebaugh. He grew up in the area, eventually going to Litchfield High School. His post-high school education was at the State Normal School at Ypsilanti, and the University of Michigan.
In 1891 he moved to Ottawa, Illinois where he studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1893. In 1894 he married Alice E. Hoover. William began to practice law, and subsequently rose through the ranks as assistant prosecuting attorney of La Salle County (1900), judge of the La Salle Co. Court (1902-1912), and president of the State Association of County Judges of Illinois (1908-1910).
Politically, he was first chairman of the Republican Party in Illinois, but switched to the Bull Moose Party in 1912 when his friend, Theodore Roosevelt, split with the Republican Party. It was on the Progressive Party (Bull Moose) ticket that William H. Hinebaugh was elected to the 63rd U.S. Congress from the 12th Illinois District, where he served one term, 1913-1915. Following his term in office, William subsequently resumed his law practice, and became assistant attorney general of Illinois 1916-1922, and as president of the Central Life Insurance Company of Illinois in Chicago.
In 1933 he moved here to Albion where his sister Sarah (Mrs. John E. Miller) (1862-1945) lived. William continued to practice law after moving here. His office was on the 2nd floor above Nickís Confectionary at 203 S. Superior St., on the same floor that Dr. L. J. Heidenreich had his dental office. This is the building that is wedged between the Bohm Theatre and First Merit Bank, now housing the Albion Community Foundation. His home was at 717 N. Clinton St. On September 23, 1935 he was appointed as Justice of the Peace in Albion, to take the place of the late Kate Bromeling. He served in that position until his death, and had his office in the new City Hall on W. Cass St. Upon his death on September 22, 1943, his second wife Marie succeeded him in that position. She was employed as the manager of the Michigan Secretary of Stateís office here in town beginning in 1939.
Politically, Judge Hinebaugh was an active Republican. He was president of the Albion Republican Club and very active in Calhoun County Republican activities.
Following his death in 1943, William was interred in Mount Hope Cemetery in Litchfield where his parents and first wife are interred. At the time of his death he was survived by his second wife Marie, two daughters from his first marriage, a brother and a sister, and one grandson who was in the service at the time. From our Historical Notebook this week we present a photograph of the Hon. William Henry Hinebaugh.
Judge William Henry Hinebaugh (1867-1943)
All text copyright, 2018 © all rights reserved Frank Passic