Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Morning Star, July 9, 2017, pg. 9
The number of people who attended a one-room "country school" growing up is dwindling. These schools were closed by the mid-1960s all across our state. One of those schools was the Wright School, located east of Albion at the intersection of M-99 and Comdon Road in Parma Township. School reunion picnics were annual held for many years during the month of August, even after the school was closed in 1966.
From our Historical Notebook this week we present a 1912 school picnic photo courtesy of Duane Ruff, whose mother Lena is in this. She not only was a student, but was later a teacher at this school and was the final teacher here when the school was closed. Here are the identifications. How many persons do you recognize?
Front row, left to right: George Collmenter, Unidentified; Lena Kaiser; Unidentified; Cecil Brigham; Unidentified; Albert Kaiser.
Second row: Jess Brigham, Dorothy Yost, Wilhelmina Sailer, Darleen Brigham, Unidentified.
Third row: George Selask, Elwin Ruff, Edith Yost, Margaret Kreger, Elsie Siefert, Edith Sailer, Frieda Kaiser, Matie Siefert, Glendon Wise, Harold Kreger, Orlo Pierce, William Kaiser.
Back row: Bill Brigham, Bill Collmenter, Violet Tarler, Unidentified, Irene Ruff, Lillian Ruff (Teacher); Marie Sailer, Mabel Scramblin.
Wright School Picnic 1912
All text copyright, 2016 © all rights reserved Frank Passic