Augustus P. Gardner (1817-1905), a wealthy hardware merchant built this Victorian style
house in 1875. A three-story, thirteen-room mansion with a mansard roof, it was Gardner's
home until his death in 1905.
In 1966, after decades of neglect, the house was purchased by the Albion Historical
Society. Restored, it houses a local museum.
Five of the rooms are furnished as a
nineteenth-century home and the remainder feature permanent and rotating exhibits.
This house is among the last of its type in this area.
509 S. Superior St.; A.P.; Mansion (Gardner House); January 22, 1971; 1981
Back to the Albion, Michigan Home Page.
© Copyright Albion Design
All rights reserved for these pages and all