Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Morning Star, April 3, 2005, pg. 2
We continue with our theme of “Albion-100 Years Ago.” April 4, 1905: “After 5 years of successful business, Dan Connors sold his plumbing business today to Fred Groff.” April 5, 1905: “Another Dog Goes Mad. Residents of E. Chestnut badly frightened. This morning a call for the dog warden came into the police station from Chestnut St. A dog had gone mad and was terrorizing that part of the city. It was an orange and white bird dog and had chewed the leather straps of its muzzle in two. Between eight and a dozen dogs were badly bitten. Mr. Hoyt finally shot the dog and the remnant of the muzzle was brought to the Mayor’s office.”
“At 10 o’clock a.m. on Saturday, April 29, in the high school building at Albion, there will be held a competitive examination, physical and mental, for entrance to the United States Naval Academy as midshipman. Any young man between the ages of 15 and 20 who is a bona fide resident of the 3rd Congressional District will be allowed to compete. From those competing one principal and three alternates will be chosen. Signed, Washington Gardner, Michigan Congressman, Third District.”
April 12, 1905: “The gold excitement of 1849 attracted hundreds of men from the east to the yellow shores of the Pacific. Robert Finch was telling the other day of the 23 men who started out from Albion in 1849. He is the only man of the party left. He stayed in California 14 months and returned by the Panama isthmus and boat to New York City.”
Week ending April 18, 1905. “The death of Mrs. Mary Sheldon Ismon occurred at her home in this city, Monday evening April 17 at 7:30 p.m. She had been subject to neuralgic heart trouble...She was born in N.Y. and came to Albion with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tenney Peabody in 1833. She married James W. Sheldon in 1856; he died September 26, 1894. In November 1897 she was married to Henry Ismon who came to Albion in 1843, but who spent most of his business life at Paw Paw, Mich. and in Chicago. He died February 2, 1901. Mrs. Ismon leaves one daughter, Mrs. Madeline Leffingwell and a grandson, James Sheldon Riley, who graduated recently from Chicago University. She always had at heart the welfare of the city and was especially interested in its social life. Seeing the needs of a permanent home for the Leisure Hour and E.L.T. Clubs and the Ladies Library Association, she erected the beautiful club house now occupied by these organizations. The body will lie in state in the club house from 10 am to 1 p.m. the day of the funeral.” From our Historical Notebook this week we present an 1865 photograph of Mary (Peabody) Sheldon-Ismon (1832-1905).
Mary (Peabody) Sheldon-Ismon (1832-1905)
Week ending April 19, 1905: Council Minutes. “Alderman Gilbert moved that the petition in regard to the bridge over the Black Ditch be reported on favorably, and the worked ordered done.” “Alderman Emmons moved that a sign be placed over the bridge leading to the city market warning people not to drive across the bridge faster than a walk.”
April 22, 1905: “Carl Nuernberg’s team ran away Friday. It was tied on Superior St. and took fright at a street car.” “Samuel A. Wilder and Son have purchased the old Bell House of the Sheldon estate. This property is just across the street west from their office building. The Bell House was moved from the college campus at the time the gymnasium building was erected and received its name Bell House because the bell was hung in the tower of the house.”
Next 100 Years Ago Article: MAY 1905
Read more Albion 100 Years Ago articles
All text copyright, 2021 © all rights reserved Frank Passic