Historical Albion Michigan
By Frank Passic

Return to the Frank Passic
Home Page  

Return to the Albion Michigan Home Page

Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.

Albion 100 Years Ago - March 1913

Morning Star, March 3, 2013, pg. 3

With this being the month of March, let’s start out with a photograph of the Flood of 1908 in our Historical Notebook this week. This photo was taken atop the Commonwealth Power Company powerhouse on E. Erie St. and looks north into the Market Place. On the left is the city scales where farmers would have their goods weighed before going to the nearby mills. In the distance is the White Mill, present-day site of Lloyd Park on E. Cass St. On the right the farmer’s sheds would provide shelter for horses and wagons; presently this is where the Leisure Hour Club building sits.

This photo was taken atop the Commonwealth Power Company powerhouse on E. Erie St.

We continue with our theme of "Albion, 100 Years Ago." Week ending March 6, 1913: "Frank Peck is the possessor of the new five cent pieces seen in this city. His brother sent it to him from Denver, where it was minted. The coins have been in circulation there for several days, the newsboys selling them on the streets for ten cents each. An Indian head appears on one side, while the reverse contains the figure of a buffalo."

"Born Monday March 3, to Mr. and Mrs. Garfield Farley south of Albion, a son, Robert Farley." During the month of February, 18 chancery suits including 17 divorce suits, were begun in the circuit court and seven lawsuits. The total number of marriage licenses issued since January 1 is 88."

"F.W. Kinney, treasurer of Albion Township, paid to County Treasurer Barnes Saturday, $935.31, the balance due on the state taxes in the Albion National Bank in1911 at the time of its failure. He also paid $594.04 to apply on the county taxes in the bank in 1911."

"Albion Boy Saw Inauguration. Earl L. Worthington, a well-known Albion boy who is studying at a technical school in Washington, was one of the few from this city to witness the inauguration of Woodrow Wilson at the national capitol Tuesday."

"Loaded with passengers, a limited east-bound Michigan United Interurban car jumped into a horse while traveling full speed between Marshall and Albion Saturday evening and then plowed into an embankment…The horse was killed, its body being thrown under the car."

Week ending March 13, 1913: "Dr. E. M. Chauncey has purchased from John Wochholz the vacant lot at the corner of Michigan Ave. and Burr Oak St., and expects to build a residence there some time in the near future."

Week ending March 20, 1913: "It was learned today that the trial of George V. Dearing, former assistant cashier of the defunct Albion National Bank, is to be held in the U.S. District Court in Detroit, April 1."

"Frank E. Nowlin estimated that well over 3,000 people attended the celebration and dance with which he opened his new elevator at the corner of Clinton and Michigan Sts. Saturday afternoon and evening. All in all it was the biggest jollification the farmers of this vicinity and not a few city folks as well have taken part in in years."

"Peter Maratchuk, a laborer at the Malleable plant, was badly burned on the hand, at the factory Tuesday, when some molten metal was spilled upon the member. At the city hospital where he was taken, it was found necessary to amputate two fingers."

Week ending March 27, 1913: "Reports are coming in to this city from the southeast to the effect that Morley Jennings, the Albion boy who is trying out for a regular berth on the Washington team of the American League, is making an excellent impression upon the club owners and may possibly secure a regular job with the Senators. He is playing under the nom de plume of Bill Morley, which he used last season with the Knoxville team of the Appalachian League, from which he was drafted by Washington."

March 21, 1913: "A terrific wind storm, which struck the city early this morning, caused damage which will easily amount to $10,000. The wind completely destroyed the pattern room at the Malleable Iron Company’s plant." Note: We will specially feature this story in the next couple of weeks.


Next 100 Years Ago Article: April 1913

Read more Albion 100 Years Ago articles

Back to the Top of this Page

All text copyright, 2021 © all rights reserved Frank Passic

Did you enjoy this page?

If you've enjoyed learning about Albion history from this site, please write us a note in the Albion Guestbook. We hope you will take the time to share your interest and stories related to Albion history, especially if you have any ancestors from Albion, please let us know.

Learn more about Albion Michigan!
Visit the Albion home page.

Search the AlbionMich.com website

Albion History Articles

Historical Notebook  |  From the Archives  |  Subject List  |  100 Years Ago

Kept current by: Robin James

Indices Unlimited Indexing Services

And now a word from our sponsors

See prints of Albion Michigan, by Maggie LaNoue, the owner of the Albion Home Page.

AlbionDesign.com Communications Specialists Since 1981

AlbionMich.net Arts, Outdoors and Education