Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Morning Star, May 18, 1997, pg. 17
The pending sale by the Boy Scouts of Camp Teetonkah at Wolf Lake in Jackson County certainly has been a major controversy not only in that organization, but for area residents as well. As a result of consolidation, the Scouts found themselves with too many camps in Michigan and decided to sell a couple of them. Many former Albionites remembering camping at "Tee-Tonk-Ah" (original spelling) when they were in scouts, and the pending sale of the campground to Jackson County brings mixed emotions to many persons.
The scouting movement began in Albion during World War I, and several troops were formed in the late 1910s and 1920s, under the sponsorship of the local American Legion. In 1926, Albion scouts affiliated with the Jackson Council.
One special troop that was organized here was Troop 62, made up of African-American boys from the west end of town. It was organized in November, 1928 under the leadership of Edward "Doc" Anderson (1903-1977), who was named its first Scoutmaster. Also assisting was William L. Beck (1882-1958) who was chairman of the organizational committee, and its members William C. Wall (1884-1941), and Zeb Pierce (1885-1953). Soon thirty boys were initially enrolled in the program which was sponsored by the Booker T. Washington Association.
Some other prominent adult leaders and supporters of the troop during the 1930s included James Hawkins, Sr., James McIntosh, Edward Pearson, Clifton Ferguson, Rev. A.M. Solomon, J. C. McEwen, Augustus Howard, Samuel J. Brown, Robert E. Carr, and Oscar Wall.
Most prominent of the leaders was Edward "Doc" Anderson, a crane operator at the Albion Malleable Iron Company. A native of Pensacola, Florida, Anderson came to Albion to work at the Malleable, and retired in 1970. Anderson saw that the scout troop was a success right from the start. He provided fatherly leadership and guidance to the boys for many years, and the troop was noted for its neatness and the wearing of their official uniforms. Many men in Albion today remember the activities and help that Anderson and Troop 62 provided them.
Anderson served the Scouts for many years and was a neighborhood commissioner for the Albion district of the Land-o-Lakes Council. Because of his unselfish and outstanding service to the boys of Albion, he was awarded the silver beaver award, the highest award given in scouting. Anderson also was a director of the West Ward playground.
From our Historical Notebook this week we present a 1953 photograph of Edward "Doc" Anderson.
Next: VICTORIA MICHNIEWICZ
All text copyright, 2021 © all rights reserved Frank Passic