Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Morning Star, March 9, 2008, pg. 14
Itís no secret that Albion is now down to just 1 grocery store. Years ago of course, there was much more competition here. There were not only the ďsuperĒ markets, but the neighborhood grocery stores and meat markets as well. One long-time Albion grocer many of our readers may remember was Harold Driscoll (1909-1997), operator of Driscollís Market.
Coming to Albion from Jackson, during the 1940s Driscollís Market was located at 204 S. Superior St. During the 1950s the store was located on the SW corner of E. Michigan Avenue and Newburg Roads in the building which is today Complete Electric at 1670 E. Michigan Ave. Then in September, 1962 Harold opened a new store at 2498 E. Michigan Ave. which he and his wife Isabel (1912-1995) operated until their retirement in 1975. The building was subsequently purchased by the Eagles several years later which is located there today. The family home was at 602 E. North St., and the Driscollís spent their retirement years at Morrision Lake near Coldwater.
Haroldís daughter Mary Jo Zurn recently wrote yours truly: ďWe bought land out near the new bowling alley and put in the new store. Dad had visions of the future when he moved in that store. He sold groceries, beer, wine. He added a complete line of magazines, shoes and clothing. He had a custom meat market and did all the work himself! We cooked hamburgs and I delivered them to Brooks Foundry employees. He sold flower and vegetable plants. He catered to the southern customers by ordering soul food items like: Chittlings, hog mauls, trip, mountain oysters, head cheese, and greens. He catered to Mexicans by getting flour and corn tortillas, sweetbreads and Mexican spices. The store was the only one to ever be opened on a holiday back then. There was always something people needed for the holiday dinner or for themselves to just go to Driscollís and see old friends and have a nice visit.Ē
From our Historical Notebook this week we present a 1970s era photo of Driscollís Market building on E. Michigan Avenue, and a photo of Harold. How many of our readers remember Driscollís Market?
Harold Driscoll (1909-1997), operator of Driscollís Market
All text copyright, 2015 © all rights reserved Frank Passic