Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Morning Star, June 15, 2008, pg. 2
The re-dedication of the GAR monument in Riverside Cemetery on Memorial Day was an impressive sight. Take the time to view the restored plaque and new headstones in this lot. Following the normal program at the Memorial Stage (with the flags) that day, several dignitaries of the Sons of the Union Veterans then walked uphill to visit the nearby grave of Albionís own, the Hon. Washington Gardner (1845-1928), who was Commander-in-Chief of the national GAR in 1914. Flowers were placed at his gravesite, which has been in deteriorating condition. It is hoped that restoration can be made to Gardnerís grave in the future.
There was once another monument plaque dedication which occurred many years ago in the Albion area. We have previously written about the Territorial Road rock and plaque located along Michigan Avenue in Jackson County, just east of the Comdon Road intersection. This rock was dedicated on July 30, 1915 by the Hannah Tracy Grant Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Our articles about this appeared on August 17, 1997 and June 24, 2007, editions of this column, picturing the rock, and then the plaque, respectively.
This week from our Historical Notebook we present a picture postcard showing the dedication ceremony of that marker. It was taken from the field south of the road, and looks north. Notice the stone wall along the road. When pioneer farmers originally cleared the land, the stones in their fields often were placed near the roadway to form a small wall.
The dedicatory rock/plaque appears between the two trees. In the distance to the north is the cornfield. There are many old parked cars which went ďtouringĒ (as it was called in those days) to attend this event. The DAR ladies can be standing there, and someplace is the Hon. Washington Gardner who also participated in the at the dedication.
In recent years the two deceased and outgrown pine trees have been removed at the site, and the rock now sits there by itself, close to the road. It is amazing that it hasnít been hit by an automobile or truck considering its proximity close to the roadway.
The 1915 Dedication Ceremony of the DAR Territorial Road Rock and Plaque
All text copyright, 2020 © all rights reserved Frank Passic