Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Morning Star, July 11, 1990, pg. 4
The Albion City Band was organized during the 1910s under the direction of George Bohm. The loyalty of the band members is evidenced by a remark made by the late Gustav Bohm, who recalled a 1917 parade when “with most of the men in the service there were only two of us in town when the occasion came, but the band still marched.”
The Albion City Band was partially subssidized by the City of Albion, except for a brief lapse during the Great Depression. At that time, one civic-minded woman, Mrs. Miriam Krenerick, went up and down Superior Street calling upon local merchants. As a result of her campaign, the necessary funds were obtained from local merchants, to allow the band to continue.
The Albion Band Shell was erected in Victory Park in 1941, thus providing permanent facilities for outdoor concerts. The summer concerts at Victory Park became a favorite pastime for Albion residents, and these concerts were held until the band folded in 1966. Directors of the Albion City Band included: George Bohm, Frank Randall, Gustav Bohm, Floyd Hoyt, and Gar Dickerson, who was its final director from 1959 to 1966. The Albion City Band was discontinued after 1966, as interest waned and the expert old-time musicians died.
From our Historical Notebook this week we present a 1930s-era photograph of the Albion City Band, shot by Ludwig Studios. Front row, left to right: Robert Llewellyn, Henry Hobus, LaVere Oxenrider, Charles E. Dernier, Gustav Bohm, Floyd Eastman, Rolland Manchester, Rex Barnes. Center row: tuba player unidentified, Hub Gaskell, Joe Torrey, George Farley, James Blanchard, Herbert Miller, Frank Randall, Robert Gaskell. Top row: Bert Cornell, Melvin Lindley, Edward Klein, Steve Matechek, Robert Oderkirk, Rolland Merritt, Forrest Chappel.
1930s-era photograph of the Albion City Band
All text copyright, 2016 © all rights reserved Frank Passic