Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Morning Star, July 30, 1995, pg. 5
During the past two weeks here in our Historical Notebook we have been featuring the McGuire Brothers, and the saloon they operated here in Albion circa 1906-15. This week we would like to feature brother George McGuire (1858-1943). George came to Albion in 1878. In his early days here he was a carpenter and helped build the Methodist Church and St. Paul’s Lutheran Church on S. Superior St. His brothers joined him in town in 1893, and the duo operated an ice business here.
George married a local girl, Mary “Lizzie” Porr (1869-1926), daughter of John and Mary (Weisner) Porr. George was also interested in baseball and coached local teams here for many years. After being in the saloon business with his brother, he became a movie operator at the Bijou Theatre, located on the northwest corner of Superior and Porter Streets,
From our Historical Notebook this week we present two photographs. The first is a family photograph, circa 1890. From left to right are: Mary (Porr) McGuire, George McGuire; May C. (Huxford) McGuire and James “Deacon” McGuire.
Our second photograph shows the inside of the saloon on W. Porter St. Notice the large photograph of James McGuire in his Detroit Tigers uniform hanging on the far right above the bar. Opposite it on the far left of this photograph is shown a man holding a black cat in his left hand. Only three persons have been identified in this photo. Ernest Boldt is shown 4th left. “Mud” Hoyt, 3rd left, and “Myers” is the man with the mustache in the middle.
McGuire Family photograph, circa 1890
More about the McGuire Brothers
All text copyright, 2015 © all rights reserved Frank Passic