Historical Albion Michigan
By Frank Passic

Return to the Frank Passic
Home Page  

Return to the Albion Michigan Home Page

Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.


Morning Star, December 15, 1996, pg. 22

(Continued from December 8, 1996). The Fleishers also rented an auto stall in the "Frog Pond" building still standing in the Market Place [2001 update--building now houses the Leisure Hour Club]. Originally built by Allen J. Wilder, it contained several parking stalls, and a small auto-repair shop. The structure was acquired by the Albion Depositors Corporation (a group of local investors) during the 1930s, and later by George Bohm, owner of the Bohm Theatre. After Sam Fleisher was sent to prison in April, 1936, the stall lease was taken over by Clair Case, a junkyard employee.

During 1936 there had been numerous safe robberies and burglaries across Southern lower Michigan, including the local March 9 burglary of the Kroger grocery at 223 S. Superior Street, in which the storeís safe was removed. Local residents became particularly suspicious form that time onward.

The get-away car had been a specially armored gun-metal colored Graham-Paige sedan, that was secretly stored in the garage stall here in Albion. The car had been chased by various Southern Michigan police in some of the robberies. It was suspected as being part of the crimes when Albion police officer Walter Burns observed the car driving out on West Erie Street on a Saturday night in late May.

At 3:00 a.m. on Wednesday June 3, 1936, a massive raid by 25 law enforcement officials at the junkyard and the garage stall resulted in the capture of the car and the arrest of Louis and Nellie Fleisher, and Sam and Lillian Bernstein. Sam was well-known by Detroit police as being a "safe man." One of the east windows over the end stall where the car was stored was not completely covered, allowing an officer to peek in and identify it. A south window was covered with tar paper.

The car was "the most completely equipped burgularís automobile we have ever seen," stated a Michigan State Police officer at the time. It had a 3/4 inch bullet-proof glass (the Gang would have their car serviced at what is now Bilickeís on Austin Avenue, and workers there would wonder why the glass was so thick), a metal flap in the back window that could be pulled down to deflect bullets from the rear, metal shields on other car parts including the tires, holes to position firing guns, removable doors and seats so a large safe could be inserted. A two-wheeled hand cart was also stored inside, used for transporting the safe.

Articles found in the car included nitroglycerine, dynamite and electric caps, drill punches, a sledge hammer, chisels, tongs, rubber wire, soap, bank bags, screw drivers, other burglarís tools, a .38 Colt army revolver, a .38 automatic pistol, a .45 army revolver and one regular one, a Winchester .30 rifle, a Marland 30-30 rifle, a 12-guage Winchester pump-gun, and a Remington guage sawed-off shotgun, along with a bag of ammunition, and guns fully loaded. The gangsters had the car wired so that wires ran from the car to the safe which was blown up with nitroglycerine.

The front and back of the car had double revolving license plates, which could be quickly turned with the hand. The auto also had over a dozen bullet holes in it, evidence of running battles with Southern Michigan police. The sedan had been stolen from Ferndale in 1935, and Jackson police said it had attained a maximum speed of 120 miles per hour during their chase with it in late May, 1936.

Also arrested in the raid was Irving Schuman, 25, a junkyard employee who attempted to flee and was caught near Jackson. Schuman subsequently attempted to escape during a prisoner transfer, but was caught trying to leave by local fireman John Passick, uncle of yours truly.

Hundreds of persons thronged the police department end of City Hall following the raid, hoping to get a chance to see the "super auto," and the prisoners being transported away by State law enforcement officials. Did anyone ever get a photograph of the Purple Gangís car?

As a result of the raid, the investigation and trials that followed, for example, Louis and his wife were subsequently found guilty of possession of unregistered firearms, and were sentenced to 36 years in prison.

As I mentioned in the first installment, there are numerous families here in town that have their own personalized stories about the Purple Gang which I am welcome to receive by mail. I hope these two articles have wet your appettite. If I get enough recollections sent to me, perhaps I can write another article about the Purple Gang in Albion, sharing some of the information sent by our readers.

From our Historical Notebook this week we present a photograph of the Frog Pond [2001 update--now the location of the Leisure Hour Club] building, which served as the storage place for the Purple Gangís armored car.

The Frog Pond, circa 1990's

Purple Gang, Part 1, also From the Archives (Albion Recorder)


Back to the Top of this Page

All text copyright, 2020 © all rights reserved Frank Passic

Did you enjoy this page?

If you've enjoyed learning about Albion history from this site, please write us a note in the Albion Guestbook. We hope you will take the time to share your interest and stories related to Albion history, especially if you have any ancestors from Albion, please let us know.

Learn more about Albion Michigan!
Visit the Albion home page.

Search the AlbionMich.com website

Albion History Articles

Historical Notebook  |  From the Archives  |  Subject List  |  100 Years Ago

Kept current by: Robin James

Indices Unlimited Indexing Services

And now a word from our sponsors

See prints of Albion Michigan, by Maggie LaNoue, the owner of the Albion Home Page.

AlbionDesign.com Communications Specialists Since 1981

AlbionMich.net Arts, Outdoors and Education