Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Albion Recorder, Monday April 8, 1998, page 4
One prominent early 20th century businessman in downtown Albion was George Bullen. The place where “Foxy Nails” salon now operates at 202 S. Superior St. was once the location of the Bullen & Tucker Drug Goods Store. The establishment sold coats, firs, carpets and other “dry” items as the name stated. It opened in 1892 under the partnership of George T. Bullen (1867-1933) and Calvin S. Tucker (1870-1934). Both men became prominent Albion businessmen during their era. The two men had purchased the store from Wellington Bidwell Crane, a descendent of the Bidwell family after whom Bidwell Street is named.
George Bullen, a native of Parma, came to Albion at the age of 16 and began working in downtown stores. He eventually became a manager of a dry goods establishment for two years before going into partnership with Mr. Tucker. Calvin Tucker likewise was previously a clerk at a local dry goods store. He was a native of New York and came to Albion at the age of 14.
The firm was in existence from 1892 until February 19, 1894, at which time Mr. Bullen sold his interest to Fred S. Austin. That partnership existed for several years. Bullen subsequently opened his own dry goods store, and it expanded through the years into “Bullen’s Big Busy Store” in the location where Sanders Furniture is now located on the northeast corner of S. Superior and Erie Streets.
Tucker expanded his firm and moved next door (north) to the southwest corner of S. Superior and W. Center Sts. Where the Subway Sandwich Shop is now. He continued in business there until November 1927. That location subsequently became Vaughn & Ragsdale (Men’s) Clothing for many years.
This week we present an 1893 photograph of Bullen & Tucker firm, with Mr. Bullen on the left and Mr. Tucker on the right. In the center is Miss Nora McAuliffe (1866-1915), a sister of Albion’s 1907 mayor Daniel McAuliffe. She remained employed with Mr. Bullen when he went out on his own.
Bullen & Tucker, 1893
Next: THE OLD RUGGED CROSS
All text copyright, 2016 © all rights reserved Frank Passic