Historical Albion Michigan
By Frank Passic

Return to the Frank Passic
Home Page  

Return to the Albion Michigan Home Page

Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.

Albion 100 Years Ago - JULY 1902

Morning Star, July 7, 2002, pg. 3

We continue with our theme of Albion-100 Years Ago. Week ending July 3, 1902: “Governor Aaron T. Bliss has given $21,000 to Albion College to aid in canceling the big debt of about $93,000 that has been accumulating for the last 30 years. The fact that the gift would be made was known to President Dickie at commencement time, but at the request of the governor Dr. Dickie promised to keep the matter a secret until after the Republican state convention, the reason probably being that the governor did not wish to have it appear that the move was made for political purposes.” “The colored people of Battle Creek and nearby towns are planning to celebrate Emancipation Day August 1.”

“James H. Cook starts a new enterprise in Homer. When James H. Cook disposed of his interest in the Cook Engine works at Albion he had his eye on Homer as the site of his new enterprise: The Cook Cutlery Works. He at once commenced building an addition to his shops here, and for some weeks has been installing new machinery to carry on the business of manufacturing a high grade of cutlery making a specialty of knives, pruning shears, etc.” “Albert Trader, charged with the larceny of a gold watch from the dwelling house of Mrs. Margaret Marsh, was examined Saturday by Justice Lane.” “By a decision of the Supreme Court, the provision of the state barbers’ license law prohibiting persons not citizens to barber was knocked out.”

“An old modern strap rail, such as was used on the Michigan Central in an early day, was found near Marengo recently by the men who are building the second track. Such relics as this are rare nowadays.” “The work of drilling the new city well on Cass St. near the White Mill progresses slowly and water in flowing quantities has not yet been struck, but it is probably only a matter of a few days before plenty will be found.” Mrs. Mead of Devereaux has been denied a divorce from her husband, Carey Mead, the Supreme Court having affirmed the decision of the judge of the Calhoun County circuit court.”

July 17, 1902: “The examination of Willard M. Gardner, charged with injuring the steam shovel used on the electric road, was in progress before Justice Merrill today. The evidence showed that Gardner had been drinking that day and was seen about the engine that afternoon. One man testified that Gardner asked him not to give him away. The accused has a good reputation in Albion.”

July 24, 1902: “The new pipe organ in the German Lutheran Church was dedicated last Sabbath, with appropriate services. Rev. C. H. Heidenreich of Marshall, preaching the sermon.” “The case of the people verses W. M. Gardner, charged with smashing the steam shovel on the electric road, was dismissed in Judge Merrill’s court at Marshall, Saturday, the defendant paying the damage and costs.” “Thursday afternoon water broke through the east side of the mill race, back of the national bank. Luckily it was in the daytime and was discovered before it had made much progress but it necessitated shutting down the mill and considerable filling in to repair the break. The cause of the water working through was the imperfect filling of an unused old outlet or trunk conveying water to the sawmill that burned down several years ago.”

July 31, 1902: “This week Henry W. Mosher, for nearly 20 years manager of the Bell Telephone exchange in this city, received notice of his appointment as manager of the exchange at Iron Mountain, for which place he expects to leave this week...From 1873 to 1879 Mr. Mosher alternately attended the college here, taught school and engaged in other occupations by which he could defray the expenses of continuing his college course.”

“J. J. Hurley’s new livery barn on Clinton St. north of the river, is now enclosed and shows its ample dimensions.” “Work has now been in progress for a week turning the Erie St. iron bridge bottom side up, or rather the stringers of the same, so as to have them on a level instead of being arched as heretofore. The bridge will also be widened to give additional room for the electric road, for which these changes, involving much labor and expense are being made.” “A. B. Paine, a former hardware merchant of Springport, passed through the city on his way to that place, on Monday. Fifty years ago he worked in Albion for Jesse Crowell and lived in the first house east of the race on Porter Street. He is now living in Chicago with his son Frank Paine, who founded the Springport Signal.”

Read more Albion 100 Years Ago articles.

Next 100 Years Ago article: AUGUST 1902


Back to the Top of this Page

All text copyright, 2021 © all rights reserved Frank Passic

Did you enjoy this page?

If you've enjoyed learning about Albion history from this site, please write us a note in the Albion Guestbook. We hope you will take the time to share your interest and stories related to Albion history, especially if you have any ancestors from Albion, please let us know.

Learn more about Albion Michigan!
Visit the Albion home page.

Search the AlbionMich.com website

Albion History Articles

Historical Notebook  |  From the Archives  |  Subject List  |  100 Years Ago

Kept current by: Robin James

Indices Unlimited Indexing Services

And now a word from our sponsors

See prints of Albion Michigan, by Maggie LaNoue, the owner of the Albion Home Page.

AlbionDesign.com Communications Specialists Since 1981

AlbionMich.net Arts, Outdoors and Education