Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Morning Star, February 14, 2021, pg. 4
North of Albion on the northeast corner of 28 Mile Rd. and J Drive North is a long narrow building that served as a country convenience store and gas station for many years. Tannerís Standard Service Station opened here in 1958 at 17000 28 Mile Road, and was owned and operated by Elson Tanner (1916-1968).
The building originated from Duck Lake where it had formerly been the "youth hangout" building, called "the shack," of the Wells Dine, Drink and Dance across the road from the Duck Lake Country Club. Tanner had it moved and positioned above the basement home that he had constructed. The business sold gas, groceries and fresh meat, and soda pop, beer and wine. It also did routine service on vehicles. During the summer months it was open from 7 am to 10 pm, so the area farmers had more time to come in.
Elsonís daughter Brenda Cornish writes, "Sometimes people would wake us up at 2 am in the morning saying they ran out of gas, so he would open up and get them gas. He never turned anyone away and would give people credit that he knew would never him. He built up a real good business."
Elson sold the business to Bob Owens in 1962 and retired to a farm. The business was sold several times, sequentially to Jack Dempsey, Dave Jennings, Abula Abdala, and finally to Bob Traves. The store operated for many years, minus the gas pumps which were discontinued, until it was closed on July 31, 2015. The building was turned into a private residence as it remains today.
From our Historical Notebook this week we present a photo circa 1960 of Tannerís. The signs state: "Tannerís Grocery and Tannerís Serviceí, with the iconic glass Standard "crowns" on top of the gas pumps. Notice the tree in front upon which two mailboxes have been mounted. On the right is a sign for Millerís Ice Cream, and the garage bay for car repairs. How many of our readers remember Tannerís Standard service station?
Tannerís Grocery and Tannerís Service, ca 1960
All text copyright, 2021 © all rights reserved Frank Passic