Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.
Morning Star, July 9, 2000, pg. 17
Week prior to July 12, 1900. "A blaze which might have caused a serious conflagration took place Thursday evening at the home of Charles Senter on E. Perry St. It appears that in some way the flame in the gasoline stove had been blown out allowing the gasoline to drip down for some time upon the pan below. During the evening Mrs. Louis Senter who is nearly 75 years of age, came into the kitchen and lighted a lamp, throwing the match into the gasoline, which immediately blazed up. Fortunately the flame burned itself out without exploding the gasoline can and beyond a general scorching of the wood, no damage resulted."
"Twin sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Wochholz on W. Erie St. on Saturday last. These babies weigh exactly six pounds apiece and so closely do they resemble each other that a bow of ribbon upon one of them forms a necessary means of distinguishing him from his brother."
"The ladies of the Presbyterian Church will sell ice cream Saturday evening July 14 in the John Fox building, recently vacated by Sibley & Clark."
"The Michigan Central Railroad Company, through their local agent, George W. French, has planned to grade up and otherwise beautify the railroad property at the lower end of the college campus, where the cement walk has just been put down. The space between the track is to be graded and the words ‘Albion College’ appropriately placed with stones along the grade."
Week prior to July 19, 1900. "City Marshal Schumacher and five year-old-son Albert, were the victims of a bad runaway accident Tuesday afternoon. The little boy was holding the reins as they were about to pass the sprinkler wagon on N. Huron St., and as the Marshal reached for the lines and was changing his umbrella, the horse became frightened and bolted with the bits in its teeth. Turning abruptly down Michigan Ave., both occupants were thrown out and the boy rendered unconscious, being badly bruised about the head and body."
"At the meeting of the city council Tuesday evening the ordinance committee, in accordance with the request of the council, reported an ordinance repealing the curfew ordinance which was passed about three years ago, but not enforced. The ordinance was resuscitated a few weeks ago by the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union. The sentiment of the council was that a curfew ordinance was unnecessary in Albion."
From our Historical Notebook this week we present a childhood photograph of the Wochholz twins, Left: Robert (1900-1961) and right: Herbert (1900-1968). The brothers graduated together from Albion High School in 1920. Their father Frank (1871-1940) was partner in the clothing firm Wochholz & Pahl, the predecessor of Seelye’s Mens Wear.
The Wochholz Twins
Read more Albion 100 Years Ago articles.
Next 100 Years Ago article: AUGUST 1900
Next: THE BANK OF ALBION
All text copyright, 2018 © all rights reserved Frank Passic